By Vera Lee-Schoenfeld
The overarching topic of this quantity is among the crucial issues of syntactic concept: How neighborhood is syntax, and what are the measures of syntactic locality? it truly is argued right here that circulate and anaphoric family members are ruled by means of a unified idea of locality: the section. On an empirical point, Beyond Coherence brings jointly 3 strands of analysis on German syntax: ‘coherence’, the examine of (reduced) infinitive buildings; the possessor dative building, with a dative nominal taking part in the twin function of possessor and affectee; and binding, the distribution of anaphors and pronominals. those it appears disparate parts of analysis intersect in that the locality constraints at the possessor dative development and binding enable the 2 phenomena to function probes for infinitival clause measurement. delivering a Minimalist ‘possessor elevating’ and phase-based binding account, this paintings culminates in a dialogue of the section because the key to some of the opacity results saw within the booklet.
Read or Download Beyond Coherence: The syntax of opacity in German PDF
Similar german books
- Endstation Gehirn.
- Wissenschaftliche Perspektiven auf Musik und Medien (Reihe: Musik und Medien)
- Welt im Wandel: Wege zur Losung globaler Umweltprobleme (German Edition)
- Festigkeitsanalyse von Faser-Matrix-Laminaten. Modelle fur die Praxis
- Reformen in Wohlfahrtsstaaten: Akteure, Institutionen, Konstellationen
- WAS IST WAS, Band 70: Das Alte Agypten
Additional info for Beyond Coherence: The syntax of opacity in German
2. I will propose that, although both PDs and non-PDs are licensed by the same head, PDs move (are merged internally or re-merged), while non-PDs are introduced directly (merged externally) into the specifier of that verbal head. 1 Possessor datives A PD is a dative-marked nominal that is interpreted as the possessor of one of its clausemates. In (2a), for example, Mami is the possessor of das Auto. Unlike genitive-marked possessors (see (2b)), PDs do not show up as part of the same constituent as the possessed DP.
However, auxiliaries selecting a participial verb form as their complement are also members of this class. e. ‘intraposition’) obligatory. This must also be the way to account for object complements, which, in non-root clauses, can never occur postverbally. 15 See Grewendorf (1987, 1988), however, for an analysis of AcIs as being closed off by an Sbar boundary and thus as being ‘satzwertig’. 16 Interestingly, when the AcI-object is the clitic-like pronominal es, it can precede the AcIsubject (see Grewendorf 1987, 1988).
Dass den Schlüssel jetzt keiner mehr [ __ zu suchen] that the key now nobody anymore to search beschließt. ” b. *) scrambling examples I present here become at least marginally acceptable when the moved DP has ‘T-scrambled’ (see Haider & Rosengren 1998) and is thus part of the so-called ‘Hutkontur’ (“hat contour”) intonation. Since T-scrambling can cross CP-boundaries, it is not the type of scrambling that is traditionally used as a probe for coherence. Different kinds of scrambling will be discussed more thoroughly in chapter 3.